In Spring 2019, Oberlin Shansi will be conducting a special search for our fellowship to Banda Aceh, Indonesia. The Aceh Fellow, who will join a senior fellow onsite by Fall 2019 after completing a summer language training, will gain valuable teaching experience as an English instructor at Syiah Kuala University (SKU).
Located on the northern tip of the island of Sumatra, Aceh is known for its beaches and highlands where coffee is grown. At SKU, a premier public university, the fellows divide their teaching time between the Language Center, the Faculty of Education, and teacher training — a total of 14 hours per week. They teach English speaking, reading, and writing, and sometimes specialized courses like theater or poetry.
Outside the classroom, fellows also have ample time for volunteering and engaging in the community. Past Fellows have volunteered with NGOs teaching creative writing and art to middle and high school students, with the Tsunami Museum, and with the think tank based on campus, the International Center for Aceh and Indian Ocean Studies (ICAIOS).
This generous opportunity will also provide the selected fellow housing, a stipend, in-country language training, professional mentorship, medical insurance, and additional funds for travel and exploration.
The application deadline will be March 8th, 2019. For your application, you will need:
· Your resume summarizing your education, work, volunteer, and special attributes, awards and other activities
· Your unofficial transcript from the Office of the Registrar.
· Statement of purpose of no more than 750 words in length
· Self-introduction of no more than 750 words in length
· The names of three recommenders – an Oberlin Faculty member, a former supervisor, and a peer.
You can find more information on the fellowships section of our website: http://www.shansi.org/indonesia-sku.